Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configure a netopia 3347w for rdp

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmajikman

Vendor
Jun 6, 2003
US
I wanted to find out if any one on the forum has had any experience on configuring a Netopia 3347w router for rdp on xp pro, I have the pinhole open om my ip addy and can get in from inside my network, but not from outside the network.

Thanks in advance

Not familiar with Netopia routers, but if you have your pinhole configured to forward TCP port 3389 to the private IP address of the machine your are trying to connect to you should be good.

Try 'telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 3389' from outside your network, replacing the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the public IP address of your router. You should receive a blank screen with a flashing cursor if all is well. If you receive an error, it may give you a better idea what is going on.

Thank you for your help, I will try it. I am pretty sure my problem is on how to get around the firewall or the security of the router.

The pinhole should get you through the firewall that is built into the router. Do you have another firewall?

I have every firewall turned off, I have tried several different things, but no luck, I have an older westell router and I think I am going to research it and find out how difficult it is to configure. Wish me luck. I am fairly new when it comes to Remote desktop cofigurations.

Any router with port forwarding (pin hole) support should work fine.

Are you getting errors when you try to connect? If not, what happens?

Check the event log on the machine you are trying to connect to for anything out of the ordinary.

Did you try the telnet test? What happened?

I just wanted to let everyone know that I did get the Netopia working, I had to set the server address the same as the default for the Netopia and I had to turn off DHCP. I also wanted to thank everyone for all the help.

Thanks,
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back