Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configure a Clariion DAE

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewawp

Technical User
Mar 3, 2007
US
I bought a 10 drive generic looking FC array, it has 2 controllers, but there does not seem to be any RS232 or 10base-T to configure it.
The only markings on it are Clariion DAE.
Does it need no configuring? The amber caution light comes on, but i suspect its because i dont have an SPS power supply hooked to the 6pin RJwhatever jack. I have yet to see anything detect any drives on it, including directly connected to a Qlogic 2100 card.

A DAE doesn't use an SPS. It is essentially a JBOD. If your unit came with battery trays, then it is a DPE (disk processing enclosure). If the battery tray's have two rj45 on each tray, then one is for sps monitoring and the other is for an adapter that lets you hook up to a serial null modem cable.
If that is the case, you probably have an FC5300.

I am not sure what you mean by battery trays, since I have never seen one, I thought that was separate. It is on the 2 controller cards. since it is a 6pin (RJ12 or 25), I assume it is for serial null modem.

There is a part number on the controllers you speak of that begins with 005 ie 005047187 is an FC5300 Storage Processor. Google it and you should be able to find out what you have. Or, go to ebay and search for Clariion.

What you have is an expansion rack for a Clariion System. If you supply the part number printed on the top label I could tell you more. The amber lights on the LCC cards are on because the interfaces are not connected to a SP.

As said by Falcon23 above ... you just a disk array with no head (processors) to it.

It should have two interfaces in each card, one EXP(ansion) and one PRI(mary). These are used to connect to a DPE and other DAEs.

Falcon23 (Vendor)

What you have is an expansion rack for a Clariion System. If you supply the part number printed on the top label I could tell you more. The amber lights on the LCC cards are on because the interfaces are not connected to a SP.

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

So if you have one of these units can you use it with anything other than a head unit? Direct to host etc?

This is what I have what can I use it for.. or what should I get to make work

EMC CLARiiON Fibre Disk Array DAE 10x 181GB 005046431

10x 181GB Seagate Barracuda FC HDD (P/N: ST1181677FCV)
1x EMC CLARiiON Fan Module P/N: 005042836
2x CLARiiON FC Power Supply P/N: 005045508
2x CLARiiON DAE Link Card P/N: 005042630

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back