Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure a cisco router with 2 ethernet interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequietstorm

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2002
US
Hello everyone,

I need some help configuring a router. I have a router with 2 ethernet interfaces, each ethernet interface will be attached to a switch, for redundency purposes. So now the question is: Do I configure both interfaces to be active at same time? Or Will the other one automatically take over if the other one fail? How I configure it? And how will it work? If anyone has a sample config for this task, I would appreciate it.

Thank you

I think I understand what you are asking.. you have a single router connected to TWO different switches on the same segment?

Router1.1---------switch2-----|
ROuter1.2---------switch1-----|segment1

and you want both interfaces to be active? that in itself will happen on it's own. Where the fun begins is to actually use both interfaces. Do both router interfaces go to the same place on the WAN side?

Depending on the switch, HSRP could work here.. it would be best to set up groups instead of each switch. That way both switches can be used even though they are in a standby group. If you config the switch itself as standby, one of the switches will do nothing until it's asked to go from standby to primary.

So what kind of router and what kind of switches are we talking about here?

MikeS Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Thank you everyone for the help, Yes Wybnormal both routers goes to the same place on the WAN. I have two 2611 routers and two enterasys switches. I am putting one connection from each switch to the routers in case one switch fail. I want the router to switch to the working switch. Each switch will carry have of my users. In case of a failure I want at least half of my network to be up. All suggestions are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back