Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure a CDR for DOS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaegermonster

Technical User
Mar 25, 2001
GB
Ultimately, I need to make a system boot disc so I can install new Windows operating systems from CD Rom. How do I modify config.sys & autoexec.bat to find/recognise/run my CDR player?

You find a cd driver that works with dos and your cdrom, call it from config.sys and have mscdex point to the driver name. Or you get one of the boot disks from ebay that gives several possible combinations. Or you find a 95OEM version with a boot disk and use it. Takes more time than it is worth to make one up, but in the long run that is the better way. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You can use generic CD-ROM drivers. Pretty much what he said above. You can also search the net for a DSP boot disk. This loads everything. But if you search the net, you can find it. If not...

Then view the file in the windows directory called dosstart.bat after you have rebooted to DOS from the start menu. It may list the config. Basically it goes like this.

config.sys
set device=c:\driver\cdrom.sys /d:mscd0000
and
autoexec.bat
mscdex /d:mscd0000

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back