Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure a 3750 switch with two internet uplinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajury

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2010
US
The switch will be located at a collocation facility that provides two internet uplinks (for redundancy). Based on their diagrams a standard layer 2/3 switch with a public VLAN configured that has both the primary & secondary Ethernet uplinks connected to it as well as any external firewall (a Cisco ASA 5510) interface in the same public VLAN.

I have some experience with configuring routers but I'm not too sure how to approach this setup.

Any ideas?

So are you trying to do policy routing (if traffic from X go out Y interface)? I'm not sure you can do that with that hardware. You can set traffic going to a specific destination (all traffic going to Z go out Y interface) to go out one link instead of another with regular route commands.

If you have a /24 or larger IP block you could use 2 routers and run BGP for multi-homing (automatically use any link, and if one fails automatically use the other).

I believe that Fortinet makes a device that can use either interface, but that's more of a small biz level device I believe.

@nosebreaker
I have the same setup, i just have have one 2911 with two GigabitEthernet interfaces connecting to the data center equipment with the two interfaces on the same subnet, i need to configure failover. If the primary link fails i want traffic to switch to the secondary/ backup link.

Your contribution highly appreciated.

Are the two Internet uplinks for use in an Active/Standby design, or are they load-balanced, or do we have two distinctly different public connections coming off of the 3750? Clarification on that would definitely impact how you'd approach this.

You mention it's a single public VLAN, so these two interfaces would be on the same public network. One possible way to do that is with an SVI on the 3750 configured with primary and secondary IP addresses, while assigning he assocaited vlan to those two Internet uplink interfaces.

CCNP, CCDP, CCIP
Core Network Planner, ISP

You can do PBR just change the SDM to routing. Other then that just connect them add two default routes and it will load balance per-flow if you make it the default gateway for your external facing devices.

CCNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back