Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuration system failed to initialise 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eponymous

ISP
Jul 22, 2004
GB
Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6701
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 09/11/2002
2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

1) An error occured on the computer which threw the system clock out of range. This seemed to impact on a number of programmes, including possibly windows genuine advantage.

2) After rebooting an initialisation problem occurred in Microsoft.Net and this advised inserting jitDebugging at system.windows.form. This is where I inserted the code:

<section name="system.runtime.remoting" type="System.Configuration.IgnoreSection, System.Configuration, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" allowLocation="false"/>
<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>
<section name="system.windows.forms" type="System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSection, System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

This appeared to resolve the error occuring with Microsoft.NET

3) However, I now have a problem with Windows Installer. When I try and install a new programme I get "Configuration system failed to initialise"

4) I have a copy of msicuu.exe installed and am considering uninstalling the various elements of Microsoft.NET one at a time?

However, first I would like to seek some expert advice please?

Many thanks,
eponymous

Here are some things to look at while you wait for that "expert" to turn up. Some times the only "expert" is the one that you become yourself.

what to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help

Unified .NET Framework Troubleshooting Guide

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility has been recently withdrawn by Microsoft because it was breaking too many other parts of the operating system.

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

Linney,

Thank you so much for your helpful information, which has helped resolve a key part of the problem; and ideally would now like to resolve the root cause:

1) Resolution : how to correctly configure machine.config for jitDebugging.

Microsoft's instructions on how and where to do this are unclear and so hopefully my additional learning will help clarify matters for others. Microsoft states:

"To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this application or computer (machine.config) must have the jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section. The application must also be compiled with debugging enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box."

N.b. Applications are the last thing to be processed and so need to be the last item on the page.

a) EXAMPLE BEFORE jitDebugging entry:

</system.serviceModel>
</configuration>

b) EXAMPLE AFTER jitDebugging entry:

</system.serviceModel>
</configuration>

(Note <configuration> tag is excluded as this already included at the beginning, as the opening tag for the various sections).

RESULT: Now possible to use Windows installer to install new programmes.

2) ROOT PROBLEM: "System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Not a valid Win32 FileTime." (details attached) The same error message still occured, though this time post-installation. I don't know the full ramifications of the FileTime error and ideally would like to fully resolve the issue, if anyone knows how please?

Many thanks,
Eponymous

http://www.ntwkfirm.com/tek-tips/tek-tips_FileTime_Exception.doc
Is there such a file as this? If there is what do the Properties show you about Dates, such as Modified, Created, etc? Are these dates valid in that they are not from way back or far into the future?

C:\Documents and Settings\Denis Roberts\Local Settings\Application Data\Alexander_Nikiforov\MP3_Skype_Recorder.exe_Url_rttyapoey00k3qd0mc3ntgkhl5tno54t\1.9.0.1\user.config

Can you search in C:\Documents and Settings\Denis Roberts\Local Settings\Application Data for *.* wild card files and use the dates created as a parameter and see what the first and last files listed look like from a date point of view?

There might be some other solutions found here from people encountering similar errors.

Linney - Thanks again.

The *.* wild card search in C:\Documents and Settings\Denis Roberts\Local Settings\Application Data for date parameters revealed that C:\Documents and Settings\Denis Roberts\Local Settings\Application Data\Alexander_Nikiforov\MP3_Skype_Recorder.exe_Url_rttyapoey00k3qd0mc3ntgkhl5tno54t\1.9.0.1\user.config had no date stamp.

I copied and deleted user.config and rebooted and this created a new file with the necessary date stamp.

A further *.* wild card search revealed another couple of files with no date stamp so I copied, deleted and rebooted again. All *.* wild card files now have a date stamp. Thank you very much for all your help.

Best wishes,
Eponymous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back