Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuration reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspope

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
I've recently taken over administration of two VMware clusters (Version 5.1) running about 80 VMS and 6 luns between them plus a handfull of free EXSi servers. We are running virtual center for the clusters. Are there any options for running configuration reporting or third party (free?) tools that can help me out?

Anything free isn't going to give you much, however has a nice product. They have a free version which we use for basic info. Why kind of reporting are you looking for?

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Right now, I'm just looking for something that could dump the configuration for me. List machines, resources, luns, networks ect.

Check out RVTools from You can run it against your stand alone boxes as well as your vCenter to capture all the info for those hosts and VMs managed by vCenter.

It is an awesome tool and yes it is FREE!!!

It will capture information about your hosts and VMs right down to disk sizes and free space, NIC, IP and vSwitch information, Snapshot information, CPU/Memory configuration and utilization, Tools status, VM and datastore health.

Like I said it is a great tool and I use it frequently.

Here is the description of RVTools from the website. Even if it doesn't suite your particular need, I am certain that every VMware Admin can make great use of it.

RVTools is a windows .NET 2.0 application which uses the VI SDK to display information about your virtual machines and ESX hosts. Interacting with VirtualCenter 2.5, ESX Server 3.5, ESX Server 3i, ESX Server 4i, VirtualCenter 4.0, ESX Server 4.0, VirtualCenter 4.1, ESX Server 4.1, VirtualCenter 5.0, VirtualCenter Appliance, ESX Server 5, VirtualCenter 5.1 and ESX Server 5.1. RVTools is able to list information about VMs, CPU, Memory, Disks, Partitions, Network, Floppy drives, CD drives, Snapshots, VMware tools, Resource pools, ESX hosts, HBAs, Nics, Switches, Ports, Distributed Switches, Distributed Ports, Service consoles, VM Kernels, Datastores and health checks. With RVTools you can disconnect the cd-rom or floppy drives from the virtual machines and RVTools is able to update the VMware Tools installed inside each virtual machine to the latest version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back