Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuration Questions - Superstack II's and 3's

Status
Not open for further replies.

crownit

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2004
CA
Layout:
I have a network of about 180 computers. I have 13 x 3Com Superstacks (II's and 3's), all with the latest software version (2.71), that act as the backbone for out network. Some are matrixed some are just single switches (we are in three buildings and everything is connected with fiber). All the switches are managed and I am using the 3Com Network Supervisor to monitor how things are going.

Questions:
1. When I have a stack of switches matrixed together should I fill each one consecutively or should I try to share out the ports between all the switched in the stack (ie. If I have 72 available ports and 55 computers should I fill then 24,24,7 or should I do 19,18,18)?
2. Does anyone use 802.1p? If so what are the advantages-disadvantages?
3. Are there any other setting on the switches anyone could recommend that I configure to help streamline traffic and improve speeds.

Any help anyone could give me on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.
-Dwayne

No one wants to flex their knowledge muscles on this posting?

-Dwayne

You shouldn't have to load share across the switches, each switch will do its own switching functions. The only possible gain would be survivabilty, ie if you loss the second switch not all the users would be down for the duration of the outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back