Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuration of Reverse Telnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

gturrubi

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2003
US
I configured the Aux port on a router so that I can reverse telnet to another routers console port but it still does not work. Am I doing something wrong? I am using IP 172.22.0.1 as the loopback address and 2001 as the port. I configured aux port speed to 19200, transport input all and no exec. I am using the Blue cisco console rollover cable to connect the two routers.

Post your configuration

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

interface Loopback0
ip address 172.21.0.1 255.255.255.0

line aux 0
no exec
transport input all
speed 19200

You need a rolled null modem cable, to connect between your routers. And other than that, you'r line Aux should look similar to this:

transport preferred telnet
transport input all
speed 9600
flowcontrol hardware

I'm not an expert in this area, but I believe this is right. Someone might want to correct me on this....

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

It still does not work. I amtrying to telnet into a router them to its aux port which then will go into the remote switch/routers console port. no modem involved.

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge on reverse telnet is very limited. I looked on cisco.com and couldn't find anything related to what your trying to do. I'm sorry.

If you are rolling from one console to another aux port, then your pin out is wrong. If you are going from a PC to a router, roll it, from outer to router, they match, use a straight through cable.

don't use the flowcontrol hardware statement

The loopback goes on the primary router and the transport input telnet should be enough. You are using the 2001 statement, but you aren't going over the right cable. I think you may have specific pin problems.

Personally I manage all of my routers through dual 2511s with Async (octal) cables, I wish I could be more help. I'll try to make a 2501 hit a 2503, if it works, I'll let you know. no news is bad news this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back