Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configuration for adobe products

Status
Not open for further replies.

generlam

Programmer
Jun 13, 2001
US
Hi, I am using Adobe GoLive and Illustrator but find that my computer at times freezes up after not too long a time working. I have a Dell 8300, Pentium 4, 3 GHz and 1.00 GB of RAM. Do I need a different computer or just to configure what I have differently.
Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Generlam:

You may want to delete your aiprefs file and see if that helps. This file is not replaced when you re-install, you have to do it manually.

The aiprefs is a file that Illustrator uses to keep your preferences (not just the ones in the Edit>Preferences menu, but also palette locations, specific tool settings etcetera) and each time you close Illustrator it writes to that file. For some reason, after a while the aiprefs file can become corrupted. Then, you need to delete it, which will restore Illustrator to factory defaults. Some people keep a good copy of aiprefs in a separate folder to simply drop it into place over the top of a corrupted one, some people (like me) make the prefs read-only to avoid having to re-customize everything each time a problem occurs.

What you need to do:

1. Close Illustrator (ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL);
2. Locate aiprefs. It has no file extension, and if you do a search you have to enable search for Hidden and System files. In XP, the location is:

File:///C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS Settings

You can copy and paste that location directly into your browser's address bar, you may have to change "owner" to your user name. It will take you to the containing folder;
3. Delete the file;
4. Open Illustrator, customize, and then save a backup or make it read-only.

Hope this helps.

Bert

-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back