Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Config's for Sip phones on UCX50

Status
Not open for further replies.

atdjr123

Technical User
Mar 12, 2012
US
I wanted to challenge the notion that sip phones can only be registered and online with the ucx50 being the primary sip server. So I config'd my phones as follows:
register name and user name equals ucx sip extension - password is same as secret in sip extension on pbx - sip server is ip address of provider w/ port 5060 and outbound proxy is ucx ip address port w/ 5060. I did this for both yealink and snom phones. Both registered and online with ucx. The incoming calls are routed through the ucx based on trunk to extension configuration.
I verified this by calling trunk and monitoring call through logs.. I also conf'd the phones without sip server ip address using 0.0.0.0 and using secret in extension config with outbound proxy as ucx ip address just to experiment. The phones will register on ucx however, they can not receive inbound calls but can dial extensions internally. Apparently the ucx config'd as outbound proxy still recognizes the sip phones w/ secret... Now I don't know why it does but obviously there are two different config's that work and a third if you wanted to limit phones to internal calls only...Don't know what effect this would have on system if any, but just wanted to put this out there...Most definitely probably not recommended as standard practice but something for the guys at emetrotel!!!!

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.
have a great day and a better tomorrow

Just a quick correction on the latter procedure. Phones can make outbound calls and receive inbound calls. Inbound calls based on inbound trunk's destination set to extension or extension ring group......So it looks as though there are three config's that work.....

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hmmm, surprising no feedback. Basically what this illustrates is that the ucx50 can be utilized as a sip server or outbound proxy server...Just when we think we know it, we come to see that there is so much more to learn...

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

I am afraid that you don't quite understand what a SIP proxy is and/or how a SIP proxy is supposed to behave. UCx is an Asterisk based solution, so you could consider looking up some information about SIP features provided by Asterisk. To start, you can look for example at this page:

If you want to discuss if Asterisk is or isn't a SIP proxy, it would be better to start a thread on the Asterisk forum. I am sure that on that forum you would get feedback from people with much better understanding of this topic than myself.

This is your post ucxguy,
I am a bit confused. Are the SIP phones really configured to use your SIP provider as the SIP server? If that's the case, then the phones are registered with the SIP provider's server - not with UCx. In that case, the status "Unknown" for the SIP extensions would be logical (as UCx would not be the server with which the phones register).

Also, I don't understand why you'd specify the UCx IP address as an outbound proxy - why wouldn't you access the SIP provider directly for outbound calls? Actually, can UCx be used as a proxy?

Would you mind sharing info about what extensions you register and where - plus how calls are to be routed? Your setup seems to be quite unusual - it looks like I could learn something new here.

So I believe that this just answers your questions on the ucx from this forum!!!! I didn't have any questions sir...

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

I was asking questions in order to understand your problem and to help you to resolve the problem. I was certainly not asking the questions to learn how someone can use software (in this case Asterisk) in a way in which it is not intended to be used and what results he/she would get when doing so. I have other thing to worry about.

I assumed that you were looking for feedback related to your experiments - that's why I pointed you to a forum where you could possibly get some constructive feedback. That assumption was based on your "Hmmm, surprising no feedback" above. Sorry that I even replied - I won't do it again.

Hey Joe, actually I was just responding to those who were adamantly telling me that there was no way the sip phones would work with that configuration and that the UCX would not register them based on that configuration....I wasn't trying to ruffle your feathers but when I know for a fact that something was working and someone is questioning that without quantifying it, rubs me the wrong way...

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hey Joe, this is a little funny because you know that has always bewildered me. I was wondering whether or not you and ucx guy were one and the same because at the bottom of your post it says (Joe the UCX Guy) but then it says Gordon Kapes at the heading..I didn't want to keep referring to him as ucx guy... LOL Thanks for clearing that up for me...

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back