Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Config and passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccullrr

Technical User
Mar 6, 2006
Hello all,

I have inherited an already configured network. Going through some of the access points and their configurations I see several instances where passwords are configured, but they are encrypted so as I can not see. Is there anyway I can input the encryption into a program or something that can help me to figure out what all these passwords are??

Thanks so much. Everyone at this forum is always so helpful!

Becky

There are a couple of programs that will do it (like solarwinds). However, if you are inheriting this network I'd suggest you wipe out all of the old passwords and start out fresh. This is definitly a security issue.

Thanks voltron1011. I found a great password decryptor.

Second question, I have a line that reads

encryption vlan 123 key 1 size 128bit 7 ##################

These decrypter's don't like that line. Any ideas on finding out what they are?

Becky

Thanks burtsbees, but no luck. Neither steps worked for this.

Becky

That looks like a WEP key. Even if someone knows how to use the wireless network, you should go to a more secure wireless encryption method. Dynamic WEP or WPA/TKIP.

I am surprised that there is that vlan encryption key in there if you did a "clear config all" to default the box , that should wipe out everything back to defaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back