Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conficker Activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
This morning I downloaded the beta nMap that could detect Conficker. Shortly afterward I saw some articles that pointed out it had only taken hours after the nMap announcement for scam sites that had been SEO'd to the top of Google to start showing up. Just after that I noticed that the download links on the nmap.org site were offline. They stayed off line for a couple of hours. They're back up again, but I wonder if they were under attack of took them down for some other reason. The Windows download is identical to the one I got this morning.
[small]
[/small]

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Maybe not an attack but too many people trying to download nmap.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

win32 has been around for a while. I know they have new varients out all the time, but none have ever really been much trouble to remove. Although this conficker sounds really suspicious to me. Exactly how do they know it is going to "erupt" tomorrow? I am really suspicious about this one. Sounds more like a hoax then an actual trojan.

I may be wrong, but it just sounds fishy.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Exactly how do they know it is going to "erupt" tomorrow?

Reverse engineering?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

2ffat, the thing that made me a little suspicious was the error was "you do not have permission to this folder" plus a 404 error, and it was on the Windows and Linux links. You may be right though, they might have taken the links down to deploy more capacity then run into a problem that kept them down for a couple of hours.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Microsoft's website is not coming up. It was earlier but now you can't get to it.

If you are referring to , then it is working for me. I just loaded it.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I am unable to, maybe it has to do with our company's ISP?

It is possible.

Now that thing I have had experience with. It gets stronger every time I come across it. I just repaired my cousin's computer with that. Dr web did not find any trace of it, so I ran antivir rescue cd. It found around 9, renamed them, which gave me enough room to be able to run the usual programs again to completely clean it.

Scareware, never heard it called that before lol.

BadBigBen,

You must be getting a chuckle every time someone says or writes "conficker"...I understand this name was derived from a parody of the word "configure" only with the second part derived from a German slang for...errr...sexual activity [smile]

Tony

Users helping Users...

Not to speak of the grin it put on mine when I wrote a warning mail to my users - all women.... :p

[navy]"We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill."[/navy]
- The Bastard Operator From Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back