Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conference MeetMe - Best practices? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team503

MIS
May 28, 2009
US
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to implement the following request from a client?

The client would like to have a PIN protected conference bridge that is PIN protected both internally and externally; essentially, they want to ensure that no one can join the bridge without the PIN.

For example, they're using 501 to dial into this conference bridge at the moment. In VMPro, I've already PIN protected the menu so that external callers cannot access it without a PIN. However, internally I run into what seems to be undefeatable.

If I use 501 as the shortcode, then internally they could just dial 501 and join the bridge. The only thing I can figure out is to use alphanumeric bridge names, and use esoteric short codes like **12#345* to dial them.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I figure you've all been doing this longer than I have, and maybe you'd have run into this issue before.

MCSE, ACA, 12+ years in the IT field

So according to my distributor:

IMPLEMENTING PIN PROTECTED BRIDGES:

While Voicemail Pro allows you to PIN protect menus and menu actions, the system still dials a short code to connect to the bridge. There is no way, according to Jenne, to prevent users from dialing this short code directly and circumventing the PIN protection. Thus, the best practice workaround is to use a non-intuitive short code for the bridge.

Example:

The bridge in use has been 501. Set a short code:

SC: 501
Action: Voicemail Node
Telephone Number: NameOfModule

Then set up your VMPro menu. Create a menu with the following Touch Tones:

Timeout -> Transfer to Main Menu
5XX -> Transfer to $KEY
501 -> Transfer to **12#3#45**, PIN protected

Now create a short code to match with an alphanumeric telephone number (so that it cannot be dialed directly):

SC: **12#3#45**
Action: Conference MeetMe
Telephone Number: Conf501

This way, the person trying to get into the managers bridge would have to know the long short code of **12#3#45** (or whatever you set) to dial in. If they figure out the short code, there’s no way to stop them from dialing it. However, by making the code as long as possible and non-intuitive, you make it very unlikely. You should also not provide this shortcode to the client.

Transfer to a shortcode which can't be dialled. I use shortcode CBxxx, you can't dial cb so it is only accessible from vmpro

Does that work, using alphanumerics in the shortcode?

Awesome, thanks! :)

yeah, the only way they could be dialed by the user would be phone manager, but it would have to be a sever fat finger moment to dial it if they don't know the codes :)

ACSS-SME
Get well soon Aaron.

I would be cautious. Avaya seems determined to make alpha short codes break with MeetMe and VM Transfer. In two versions of 5.0 setting my MeetMe short code to "TEAM" resulted to each person being transferred to some inaccessable conference with only themselves. Better idea might be to create system short codes for your meet me. I.E. 55510 Conference Meet Me 55510 and then make a user short code of 55510 Barred/Busy. Then have a system short code to access your conference system.... *83 Voicemail Collect menuConference for example.

Kyle Holladay
ACA-I, ACA Call Center, ACS-I, ACS-M,
ACE Implement: IP Office
TIA-CTP, MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Same here Kyle, around R5.. I even posted on here about if I remeber correctly, a conference of "ANDY" often ends up with each party in "CONF1" but they can't hear each other, swithcing to numerical codes works fine :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back