Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conference call - 2 lines not disconnecting on hang up - SIP Grandstream Gateway 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlycord

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
Toronto, Canada
PBX - Nortel Norstar CICS
Gateway - Grandstream HT818 Analog
Carrier - Rogers (Canada)

The carrier Rogers controls the Gateway, we have no access to it.
FYI for Canadian techs - They have started to do away with the traditional "Analog Modem with battery" direct to cable in favor of "Gateways" by Grandstream direct to Network switch.

The issue is a conference call is made via the Norstar system (in particular calling out from the mailbox using option 7), when both parties hang up the 2 lines/channels are still tied up.
The wiring needs to be disconnected briefly (I installed a BIX36B) or either the PBX or modem needs a reboot to free up the lines.
Single calls do disconnect and why I am puzzled.

Nortel Norstar CICS - I have confirmed "Disconnect Supervision" is programmed for all lines.
They carries support usually have no idea what ""Disconnect Supervision" means, but even more so now that it is now SIP and not POT's.

Has anyone had this same issue with Grandstream gateways? aside from "Disconnect Supervision" what should we be looking at on the Grandstream that I could convey to Rogers?
Any trickery?

Thanks

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Don't know if this will be of any help, since it applies when the conference call is setup through the HT818 itself, but just in case, the following is an extract from the HT818 user guide describing a parameter setting.

"If phone A hangs up, the conference will be terminated for all three parties when configuration “Transfer on Conference Hang up” is set to “No”. If the configuration is set to “Yes”, A will transfer B to C so that B and C can continue the conversation."

Will be interesting to see if that turns out to be the issue. Strange feature, but even stranger is why anyone would want to enable it (seems a very generous gesture).

We have such a use case where I work. We have agents that conference doctors together to talk about patients. They can be rather long-winded conversations. Keeping the agent on the line can tie them up for a long time. Giving the ability of the agent to drop out of the call and let the doctors continue to chat is a benefit. Many systems have a timer that will let them keep yammering for 15 minutes or so.

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

You jogged my memory - I have indeed seen this feature on some systems, although I don't recall having seen anyone use it. The use case you describe makes sense, particularly when it's limited by a timer. Without a timer some scary scenarios can be imagined..

I purchased the HT818 as a lab rat and a tool.
Setting it up with one of my test SIP accounts will be a tool to troubleshoot sites to help eliminate carrier, network or PBX.

Under Profiles they have exactly what I am after:

Loop Current Disconnect: No (loop current disconnect upon call termination)
and
Loop Current Disconnect Duration: 200 (100 - 10000 milliseconds. Default 200 milliseconds)

Changing those to Yes and 600 might do the trick, Rogers the carrier needs to do change these since they do not give out login credentials.
Will update later on that.

Thanks for replies.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Per your original post, single calls do disconnect, so there still might be that conference piece, but now you'll at least be able to test. While the HT818 might be handy for your lab and other testing, the impetus to buy one to troubleshoot this problem seems another example of Carrier induced frustration.

I have been troubleshooting some SIP one-way as usual but lately and strangely is a rise in one-way with regular POT's lines that is driving my nuts so this will help me prove what's what.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Had what appeared to be a one way POTS issue this past year. Inbound was okay, but no outbound with normal tone dialing. We checked with pulse dialing and it worked. Turned out the Carrier had changed some setting to pulse dialing from what had always been tone. Easy fix once they finally worked on it. Hope yours turns out to be that simple.

These all failed:

Transfer on Conference Hang up” is set to “Yes”
Loop Current Disconnect: Yes (loop current disconnect upon call termination)
Loop Current Disconnect Duration: 460 (Nortel Norstar default)

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Sorry to hear that.

In a search I found someone who had the identical problem with a now discontinued Grandstream model (GXW-4008SIP), but the system was an Avaya IP Office 500, and the solution was to enable a particular feature setting ("Drop External Only Impromptu Conference") on the IPO that I believe has no CICS equivalent.

Saw a Grandstream forum post with a solution to an HT814/HT818 problem that was similar to yours with regard to lines staying connected (although the origin was different), and the PBX type didn't seem to matter. The solution (confirmed by two people) was to set the HT818 Loop Current Disconnect Duration to a much higher value than the default 200ms (or even the 460ms that you tried). Only one of the two said what value they set it at, and that was at the maximum 10,000ms (likely much higher than needed), but if you're inclined to test again, you can start high and work backwards if the solution actually works for you.

FYI, the two posts next to the last one in the thread discuss the solution.

Not trying to send you on a wild goose chase, and apologies if this isn't helpful.

Do you have reason to believe that this will fix the problem, or is this a worthwhile upgrade for other reasons, and if it happens to fix the problem so much the better?

I forgot to add that the disconnects on a conference call with 2 lines works fine with a BCM50.

Yes there is a reason...
My original call was to add a couple more lines along with a 2nd line card and setup up external transfer from
I noted that programming the Supervision on the new lines 5-8 would not take.
It looks like it takes but when you go bacl to have a look it is back to "No" instead of "Yes".
The fix for that was to copy a working line such as 1, 2, 3 or 4 to the new lines, and it took!

So my feeling is that the above issue is a little more deeper in that Supervision struggles with conference calls but it appears ok with normal single call disconnects.

"I purchased the HT818 as a lab rat and a tool."

Yesterday I finally managed to get it to register with voip.ms.
I will bring that along and see if it works, or not.

ETA to site next week sometime.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

That information does make the CICS the prime suspect - good luck with it!

Upgrade to 7.1 and new Global CLID card did not help.

However my new handy dandy HT818 test/loaner gateway registered with Voip.MS worked!

Next step is to meet with Rogers at site and compare configs.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Rogers matched my settings but it did not work.

So in the end:
-with Rogers it works on a BCM50
-it works on the CICS with with another carrier such as Voip.MS

Strange!

Case closed

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search