Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conexant Wireless ADSL modem/router keeps dropping connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

olderrocker

Technical User
Aug 19, 2003
GB
Hi

Conexant Wireless ADSL modem/router connected to BT Broadband has 2 desktops connected to the ports and can be accessed by both mine and my son's IBM laptops OK.
Network can seem great for hours (or minutes) but intermittently drops all connections to the internet on the whole network, although on the laptops the connections and speed reports fine, I am unable to ping the modem (RDY and RXD LEDs stop flashing on modem).
I have to power off the modem/router, wait 30 secs and power back on to regain the connection status. It can then run OK for various times. I have checked all the relevent setting I know and read a few forums, both here and elsewhere but it's a minefield and the fact its intermittent makes it even worse.

Any help appreciated - thanks, Del

You might consider replacing the modem/router.
As a power cycle brings things back, it would appear that the issue is not your DSL connection.

First check with your provider. Make sure they know you need a full time connection. Because they provide the equipment and the service they should be able to troubleshoot the problem. Second make sure your software doesn't have a time-out if there isn't any activity for both the local software and your providers software. A good way to test this is to have one of your computers schedule a synchronization of several site at predetermined times. Try about every two hours. You might alos make sure your modem has the last connection software. Don't forget that you are paying your provider for this service so they should be more than willing to help you work this problem out.

Guys
Modem/router just packed in - cannot even connect now, will be returning it to the store for a replacement tomorrow (2 weeks old)
Thanks for your help and input - Del

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back