Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coneccting with SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgonzalez

Programmer
Aug 2, 2000
MX
Hello

I hope that someone could help me.I am trying to do an aplication wiht visual basic, but I first wanted install the client of SQl Server(version 6.5) in my computer I tried to do connection but give the error "Unable to connect to SQL Server is unavaiable or does not exist. Error 13 MSG 10004 severity 9" but the strange is that when I am setting the login and password there is a list with the servers and the client can see the server that I want connect .I neither thing that is the user because I test it in the same server and I cando query and all.Really I am confused with this I hope that someone could help me whith this

Thanks

First, if you are using the 6.5 client to connect to a ver 7 or 2000 server, I don't think it will connect right (at all) but it will see that a server exists. If that isn't the case, then:

Secondly, if you are using a 6.5 server, you may want to use the IP instead of name... You can find the IP by doing this:

Code:
C:\>ping developer

Pinging developer [10.6.1.54] with 32 bytes of data:
"developer" is the server name, the IP will show up in the brackets. run the ping from a command prompt window.

Try get into SQL Client Network Configuration Utility in your computer and change your default network library to 'named pipe'. See if this works.

Andel
andel@barroga.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back