Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conditional values

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortyA

MIS
Feb 20, 2002
CH
Hi,
I am new to using the BO Designer as used to working with Crystal Reports. Using Designer on BOE XI Release 2 and have a question that I am hoping you can help with.

I would like to create an object which has a value of "1" if various conditions are met. For example "if (field1=A and field2 =Z) then 1 else if (field3=Y and field4=F) then 1 else 0;

Is this possible in BO Designer and if yes how can it be done as I would prefer to have this logic in the universe than the report?
Many thanks for your help.
ShortyA

What type of database are you connecting to? I would do create a dimension or measure (depending on how you're going to use it) that looks something like this:
Code:
Case
  when (field1 = 'A' and field2 = 'Z') then 1
  when (field3 = 'Y' and field 4 = 'F') then 1
  else 0
end

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Hi - thanks for your prompt reply. I am connecting to an Oracle database but have used case statements before in PL/SQL. I am going to summarise the field value within various groupings in the end report. Would a measure be best for that ?
Thanks for your help.
ShortyA

Yes, you'll need a measure for that.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

This is the first time I have created a measure which is not a direct field value. Is this syntax entered in the "Select" section of the measure ? Thanks.

Yes, it's in the Select section. You can use just about any valid SQL expression there to get the data you need, including calls to user-defined functions - it all gets passed to the database when the dimension or measure is included in a query.

-Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back