Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conditional Sum with Text. Help Please!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

roaml

Technical User
Feb 19, 2002
US
Hello to you Excel experts out there.

I have an issue that I cannot figure out.

I am using the following Conditional Sum (Wizard) formula to get the sum values from one tab to place into another tab.

I am able to do this with numbers but not with text. Is it possible to perform this function with text? If so, can someone please help me fix this formula to work with text?

=SUM(IF(MINOR!$E$3:$E$5000="Project 1",MINOR!$E$3:$E$5000,0))

Thank you so much!

I see what you have tried, but I don't understand what it is you want to do. Please tell what your goal is.

Well you can't SUM text because to sum means to add together. Do you want to COUNT instances of 'Project 1' in the range $E$3:$E$5000 ?

If so, try
[COLOR=blue white]=countif($E$3:$E$5000, "Project 1")[/color]

If you want to count instances where multiple conditions are met, then it would look something like:
[COLOR=blue white]=sumproduct(--($E$3:$E$5000="Project 1")*--($F$3:$F$5000="Condition 2"))[/color]

Or, if I've completely missed what you are trying to accomplish, please provide more details as Lilliabeth suggested.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Thank you Lilliabeth and John for your assistance.

Here is what I am trying to do...

IHere is what I am trying to do...

I have a tab called “Minor” and a tab called “Districts”. In the Minor tab, I would like to count the number of "Project 1" and place the totals in the Districts’ tab. I am counting the data in the Minor tab using the column "District". For example:

Under District column there are 20 “Project 1” entries. I would like to paste or link the total number (20) in the tab “Districts”.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again.

In the appropriate cell on the Districts sheet:

=CountIf(Minor!$E$3:$E$5000,"Project 1")

Lilliabeth,

You are the BEST! This is what I needed.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back