Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

conditional statement to match/import data in Excel sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlfpackr

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2003
US
I'm having all kind of issues with this one.

I have two sheets in Excel. One has a person's name and a dept number. The other has dept number and a dept name. Crude example is below:

Code:
         [i]Sheet1[/i]
[b]Column A[/b]         [b]Column B[/b]
Bill             10001
Joe              10002
Bob              10003
Gary             10004

[i]Sheet 2[/i]
[b]Column A[/b]         [b]Column B[/b]
10001            Accounting
10002            Corporate
10003            IT
10004            Engineering

What I want in Sheet 1 is a Column C that says if the value in Sheet1!Column B = a value in Sheet2!Column A Then put in the corresponding value from Sheet2!Column B into Sheet1!Column C.

I have no idea why this is giving me trouble, but I'm ready to admit failure to complete strangers. I'm in Office 2007 if it matters.

=================
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that do not.

Geez, nevermind. As soon as I posted this I saw what I was doing wrong. For those that come along later.....

Column C in Sheet 1 should equal:

=VLOOKUP(B2,'Sheet 2'!A:B,2)

=================
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back