Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conditional Formating with multiple values - how

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrumaner

MIS
Apr 4, 2005
US
I have a report that is broken up by state codes. I need to color code specific states, each in a different background color based on a set of criteria.

I have a formula that evaluates out to the name of the color but cannot figure out how to use the conditional formating option to do multiple colors in this case.

I am trying to color any line in the report that relates to 'CA', red; 'GA', orange; 'MN', green; 'TX', yellow, etc. There will be only 10 different colors. I have tried the Boolean, no luck. I have tried the String, not really sure how to use this one which might be why I cannot get this to work.

Can anyone help me out here?

Sorry, I forgot to mention this report is in ReportNet

Hi! You can create a variable with type of String. In the expression editor (right top pane), do a decode/if then else/case to assign a color to the state for example decode(state_abbrev,'CA','RED','GA','ORA','MN','GRN'.... Then add each of the color codes in the Values section. When you open the condition explorer, you will see the color codes plus Other under the variable name. Set the conditional style to be the variable name. Then select the color code and set the appropriate color values.

hth...jean

Thank you. That is a real interesting idea. I will try it and see if I need any further assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back