Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Condescending Customer Causing Consternation - Help! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeGustaXL

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
I consider myself fairly knowledgeable and experienced in my field of 'expertise', and I'm certainly capable of producing a report on the subject, with all the salient facts included, and formatted in accordance with established rules and practice.

My Customer's a consultant, 'subbed' to a much larger corporation, and I understand that his livelihood depends on how fine his comb is when reviewing my work. I would od the same, if I were in his shoes.

What I cannot stand is the condescending tone he uses in his comments on my work, e.g:

"It is not clear where these figures came from - Document ABC-123 Vol 2.1 explains the process. It is recommended that you read and understand this section fully".
and...
"Much work needs to be done. I suggest a half-day workshop to improve [MyName]'s knowledge"

I am SO ANNOYED! We are not contracted to the document cited, and the points on which the reviewer feels I need re-education are (a) fully explained within the report text and (b) correct, by his own technical standards and methods!

How can I respond to this politely, constructively, and without resorting to personal insults?

Chris

When his pin is pulled, Mr Grenade is not our friend - USMC Infantry Manual

For the part where it is already explained, you can politely point out the pages and paragraphs where is is explained.
This will show all involved that you have already mentioned what this reviewer claims you never did. This alone will cast doubt on his views. When you do this be sure not to directly mention that he overlooked, or that he did not read. Pointing a finger directly will cause the situation to deteriorate on both sides.
As for getting him to stop being condescending, doing that first part might stop it somewhat, because he will not be so quick to judge (if you are lucky). There is also a chance (probable) though that it will not help. The only thing I can come up at the moment is to call him and give him a quick "please do not do this, it is impolite".

Just because he started pointing blame initially doesn't mean you have to stoop to his level at all. I must say that it is apparent that you wish to rise above that simply by the fact that you are here requesting help.

You can also hold out mentioning it at all, and see if politely pointing out where you already mentioned what he claimed you did not changes anything.
If he repeats the condescending attitude, then definitely do something about it.

~
Give a man some fire, he will be warm for a day, Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

This is not the time for polite. He felt no obligation to protect your reputation, so feel no obligation to protect his.

Use the same snotty tone back in a document that refutes his points. He got personally insulting first, you have to bash him back. Bullies only recognize you as serious if you push back. I had to do this once when I got caught in the middle of a power play by a guy in our HQ who accused me of not being qualified to do a certain task because he wanted to make our Director look bad. Since he had no awareness of my qualifications, he looked like an idiot when we pointed them out in a document to the Auditor General and he never messed with me again. Refute him point by point and make sure it is clear that you consider his review to be inadequate at best.

Clearly, [insert the idiot's name here] is unaware that our company is not contractually obligated to use documant ABc, etc. Further appendix a of the document fully explains the details of where the figures came from. If he did not see this explanation then perhaps he did not fully review the report.

The half-day workshop is unneeded as in our view as [yourname] has sufficient knowledge of the subject at hand. (insert some of your background education and training here) The reveiwer seems to have a poor grasp of requirements however since he seems unaware of how the following do in fact follow the corrrect standards.(insert examples her of how you did follow the correct standards) Perhaps he should attend the workshop.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

I agree with SQLSister. When the batter crowds the plate, you sometimes have to throw one high and inside to let him know who's in charge.

I strongly recommend, though, that while standing your ground you should at no time descend to condescension, too. Stay above the dirt and do as SQLSister has done by example, rebutting professionally point-for-point. Keep it clean but firm and you will only will you back down your bully, but you will also win a moral victory in the eyes of your peers.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

OMG.....get your documentation straight now. The client is creating documentation to keep from paying you the full amount (okay, 'may be' creating....) Those type of statements all add up to the same things:

1. You are not following the guidelines you are supposed to be following.
2. You are not fully qualified to do the job properly.

That can mean a valid reason to break or reduce the payment in a contract. "Your company provided a person who was unable to follow procedure and was not qualified to perform the job as per the contract."

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Bill has an excellent point.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Yeah. I hadn't thought about it that way at all.

But still, answering in a professional point-for-point in the documentation, particularly if you can quote chapter and verse from the contract, is a very good way of holding off such an attempt.

I'm always wary of people calling meetings when they don't fully spell out the issues/problems. They always seem to have something to prove (unlike those who know their jobs inside out and have nothing left to prove).

His suggestion of the half day workshop will undoubtedly be a source of income for him. It may also allow an opportunity for him to get some full training (from you) on something he may not be fully clued up on, during which it may become clear to him that your work is correct. Net effect is that he's been paid to meet you for a half day workshop and he will report to the client that after it's conclusion all problems have been resolved - wow, he must be good to sort all that out in half a day!!!

I would write back to him stating your defence and education/experience to put him in his place (as has been mentioned above) but in a cool and professional tone, but also offer to provide him with training/workshop on the subject at his own expense as he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. I bet he loses interest. By the way, copy in the actual clients.

Thank you everyone for cooling my anger and making me take a more pragmatic view.

There were 22 comments on The Great Knucklehead's review form, almost all of which stemmed from his mistaken belief that we were supposed to be working to a certain standard. This standard is described in "Document ABC-123 Vol 2.1" (not the real reference), which was not among the contractual documents.

His other points stem, I believe, from his 'skim reading' a few early paragraphs, forming a mistaken conclusion based on incorrect and out-of-date information, and applying the same judgement to all the following information.

I have responded to TGK, his Boss, and CC'd the Actual Clients like this:

1. At the time of contract award, Document ABC-123 Vol 2.1 was in draft form, and not published until DD/MMM/YYYY. No standard process was mandated, therefore the procedures developed for this contract were based on the following documents, extant at CA: Doc A, Doc B, and Letter C.

2. The method of calculating Result X is fully described in Chapter 2 of Doc A, and examples are given in Section 3 of Doc B. The Main Client's Subject Expert was consulted, and the preferred method is described in his paper, Annex A to Letter C.

3. As I am sure you are aware, the definition of "Jkjbsad" in Doc A is the internationally agreed version. The meaning given in Document ABC-123 has not been ratified. Therefore this report uses the current, accepted meaning given in Doc A.

4. If, after review, you feel that further guidance or discussion may be beneficial, please call [MyName] to arrange a meeting here at MyOffice.

How's that?

BTW, STAR to Fenrirshowl for the advice to copy in the actual Clients - [2thumbsup]

Chris

Sounds good to me as it is a clinical response to his points.

If you wanted you could mention something about being willing to redo the work based on the consultants interpretation of the definitions and include an estimate of the cost. (Extra costs always focus the mind!)

Fen

It's safe to say that doing it his way is unacceptable, as most of TGK's way is WRONG, and no longer accepted practice.

The other bits of his way are still WRONG, because he's only partially grasped the subject, and is unaware of/unwilling to read about the nuances applicable in this case.

My door is always open, if he feels the need to acquaint himself with the latest methods. [wink]

Chris

Starkly firm, frankly direct, bitingly to the point, and all without matching the TGK's condescension. Your rebuttals even sound like you didn't notice the tone of his comments at all.

Well done. I think you have successfully thrown that "high and inside" pitch -- let's see if he's smart enough to back away from plate.

Please keep us updated.

Excellent response. Very professional.

-SQLBill

reply to all, adding your own internal CYA might be best. If he made the thread all inclusive, you might still offer a reply directed to him only.

make the reply to him only, with the fact in mind that you are prepared to forward that thread to the all inclusive list at a future date, and let him hang himself with his ignorance, attitude, and requirements beyond the scope of work contracted, in his reply. You can then make sure you present yourself in a predetermined attitude, both cooperative, and knowledgable. A reasonable team player.

There may be a point in the reply to him thread where he acknowledges his error, and belays his previous comments. Then a reply to all with that thread might be better at that time.

You can alweays reply to all on the previous challenge communication later if it does not work.

Sorry Tom, and everyone for the suspense, but I haven't had a reply to my response of the 8th (See above)

My wish is that TGK has been severely carpeted by his Boss and the Real Client's Subject Matter Expert (SME), and is now in a re-training program. [wink]

My belief is that they will issue an acceptance note, and say no more.

Either is a 'WIN' as far as I am concerned!

I'll keep you informed as soon as I hear anything, promise

Chris

Wow! Here we are in June already, and I've just received the Acceptance Note from The Real Client.

In the intervening weeks I've had some off-the-record chats with TGK, and he's agreed to wind his neck in. Besides, he's been 'Re-assigned' Yaayyyy!

So, a WIN, but not a Laugh-In-Your-Face victory. Mustn't grumble, eh?

Chris

Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?
- Stephen Wright

Goodo Chris!

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Congrats! Bet you sleep better at night now.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back