Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concurrent Triggers: unique INSERTED table for each SPID ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travis909

ISP
Jun 17, 2003
US
Hello,

I have multiple processes (SPIDs) simultaneously INSERTING rows into a single table, each time firing a trigger which modifies the inserted row of the base table (and a corresponding row in another table).

I am getting DEADLOCK about 10% of the time.
[tt]
--SELECT initial values from INSERTED
SELECT @incomingconfid=h323incomingconfid,
@acctsessionid=acctsessionid
FROM INSERTED

UPDATE TblRadiusSTART WITH (UPDLOCK)
SET CallActive = 0
WHERE TblRadiusSTART.h323incomingconfid = @incomingconfid
AND TblRadiusSTART.AcctSessionid = @acctsessionid

UPDATE TblRadiusSTOP WITH (UPDLOCK)
SET StartRecordFound = 1
WHERE TblRadiusSTOP.h323incomingconfid = @incomingconfid
AND TblRadiusSTOP.AcctSessionid = @acctsessionid
[/tt]
Question: Does each SPID have a it's own copy of the INSERTED table ? From what I am observing, it seems their is an INSERTED table for each base table, and not a separate INSERTED table for each SPID.

If my observation is correct, can anyone tell me how to process the 2 UPDATE statements for the firing INSERT ?

I think I could use "SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL REPEATABLE READ" and make the entire trigger procedure one big transaction, but that removes nearly all concurrency from the application.

I would greatly appreciate help and will supply my email to help you in the future.

Thanks,
Travis

Instead of retrieving vlaues into variables have you tried Update with INNER JOIN between TblRadiusSTOP and INSERTED tables on
h323incomingconfid and AcctSessionid
I haven't tried this but guessing. If not you can try your hand at inserting rows from INSERTED into a temporary table and running UPDATE by INNER JOIN with the same

Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back