Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concerning Linking Tables.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcain

Programmer
Jan 29, 2002
US
I am needing to retrieve information from about 5 tables total. The problem is that some of the records haven't been entered into two of the tables. Thus, those particular records don't show up, since there isn't a match in ALL the tables.

Our users want to see this information, even if details for a particular instance haven't been fully entered. Is there a way to get the records to show from the three tables even if they haven't been entered into the other two?

My first attempt has been to change the SQL query to group the original where clause in parentheses and then use the keyword 'OR' with a second set of statements that simply exclude the two tables that don't have all the information.
That hasn't seemed to work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Click on the links in the Visual Linking Expert, once it's selected, click on the Link Options button, and change
regular joins to Outer Joins as needed.

Cheers,
- Ido ixm7@psu.edu

This doesn't seem to be working. I tried at different times both a left outer join and a right outer join.

Will keep working on it. If someone can think of a reason why the outer join doesn't seem to be working, please let me know.

After I read IdoMillet's post, I thought for sure it would work!

Thank you!

Several one to Detail tables joined to one Mater table are usually not going to get the records you expect in the report.

Do the report off one (Master-Detail) pair of tables, and get the other information in subreports.

Or use a UNION join to collect all your subsidary table data together, and join that to your master table. Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back