Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conceptual problem with users and databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

parbhani

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Hi Guys,

I am new to Sybase and have a problem with the concept of user, database and server.

How are these organised ?? When a user is created is it created for a perticular database or for the entire server ?

Means if I want to define a hierarchy between server , database and user how that will be ? or am I asking a wrong question itself ?

Which guide in the Sybase documentation will explain me verious concepts ? I am not able to find a manual which will explain me the concepts.

Please help.

Regards

Hi Guys,

Again refering to my questions above, I am working in Oracle since a long time, so I would be greatfull if somebody explains me the same things in comparison with Oracle, that would be great.

Cheers

Hi Guys ,

Need help mates !!!!
where are you all ??

Regards

when u create a user in Sybase the user is for the database (the server) which you can log onto from any client that has the username and its pwd.

Hi,

Well not sure on the question - but a user is local to the Database - so if you have more than one DB, you need to create a user on each separate DB.

As for the hierarchy, the DB runs on the server and the user logs in to the DB.

Pls could you clarify more?

The hierarchy is a users is defined within a database which is defined within a server.

But users can not log on to a server, "Logins" are used to connect to the server, and then mapped into "users" when accessing any database (a different user for each database, even if the user name is the same in different databases).

You can see the "Security Administration guide", "Managing adaptive server logins and database users".

Hope this helps.

Hi Friends ,

I am aware that I can get my answer from the manuals. Still if somebody tells me in friendly language then I can understand the things quickly from manuals.

My question mainly is, the relation between data server and database.

We have a data server running with 10 databases created in the same. Now if we create a user login, will/can it be for the data server or one perticular database ? I know that there is one default database for a user.

Please help.

Regards

You create a login for a server.

You create a user for a database.

You can link logins with users (this is the way you link logins and databases)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back