Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concatinated Field Returning #Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaret

Instructor
Jun 19, 2002
I've run into this bug before and would like to resolve it once and for all. I have a simple, concatinated field:

Field Name: txtStratInit
Control Source: ="► " & [StratInit]

It works correctly until I compact or close/reopen the dataabase, then it returns #Name?

If I rename the field (i.e. txtStratInit2) the field will display correctly again, until I close/reopen the database, then it returns #Name?

I know there must be an existing thread on this as I've encountered this behavior before. Can someone point me to the thread or tell me what the permanent fix is for this? I've deleted the field and recreated it but the same behavior occurs.

Thanks in advance,
Jaaret

Do you have the NameAutocorrect settings turned on or off?

It looks like you are trying to create a bullet for a text value. Have you considered adjacent controls rather than a single text box?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Have never seen this phenomenon and cannot reproduce it, neither by closing and opening the database nor by doing a C & R.

Given that you've deleted and recreated the Control, ruling out that it is corrupted, my next guess would be that the Form is corrupted.

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

The Devil's in the Details!

NameAutocorrect settings currently:

Track name Autocorrect Info = Checked
Perform name Autocorrect = Checked
Log name Autocorrect = Unchecked

I concatinate the Control Source: ="► " & [StratInit] to indicate which record has the focus. I put a white rectangle object in front of the symbol so it only is visible when the field has the focus. (See .jpg screen shot.)

My hunch is I'll have to rebuild the subforms from scratch to resolve the issue.

Jaaret

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?5450atug7z5a3ay
Duane, as my screen shot indicates, I'm also using conditional formating to show focus. However, that only works for one subform at a time. The form has a cascade of four Master/subforms and the chevrons (triangles) remain visible as you move focus from one subform to the next so that it is clear where you are in the hierarchy overall. I use this method successfully in most of my databases.

My best guess is the form corruption is caused because I was in a hurry to create this and rather than create each subform from scratch I copied the first one and did a Save As to create the other subforms. Some of the field controls were identical until I renamed them. I suspect copying them in this way may corrupt the form's underlying inderlying indexes.

Darrell

I unchecked the NameAutocorrect options but it did not have an effect on the problem. Closing and reopening the database caused the fields to fail and return #NAME?

I determined that the forms were corrupted and created new forms from scratch in a new database. I imported the tables and non-corrupted forms and they are working properly. I've encountered this problem before and it appears to stem from copying existing forms with underlying VBA and saving them under a new name.

Thanks for all the input,
Jaaret

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back