Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concatenation gives #Error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

swaybright

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
US
Hey All,

I've got a mystery here:
I am trying to concatenate a field value with text in the control source property, I have =[myfield] & "text" I know that the syntax is right b/c I used the same syntax in another db form and get the desired results, but in this case I get #Error.

Does anyone know why? Is there some control property that has to be set a certain way, etc.

Thanks,

Shane

[myfield] maybe formated as something other than a string...

try:

=str$([myfield]) & "text"

ETID,

Good thought, but didn't work. The data type is number with a field size of single if that helps. I don't have any formating (that I know of).
It blows my mind that sometimes I get the error and other times I don't.

SHane

Are you getting the error when the field is null, in that case your formula should be =IIf(IsNull([myfield]),"text",cstr([myfield])&"text")

Thats a good point, but no. What I've found is that for this particular field, the syntax gives #Error, but for other fields on the same form it concatenates correctly.
The difference is that this field is filled via an update query that selects a value from another table (i.e the value from a record that has a highest value in another field from the many side of a relationship for each record on the one side).
I've simplified the problem down to just the field value, so if I try to put =[myfield] in the control source I get #Error

if I use myfield, I get the desired value

if I use cstr([myfield]) I get Error 0

if I use str$([myfield]) I get #Error

Hey, I have a suggestion. This is a text box control on a form, right, in "control source" you have
=[myfield] & "TEXT"

make sure that "Name" (of the text box control) is not myfield

or chage the "control source" to
=[myquery].[myfield] & "TEXT"

If you use a wizard to make a form, Access automaticaly gives the text boxes the same name as the fields that the are connected to. If you try to reference [myfield] then access assumes you mean the text box, which is a circular refenece!

Right on!!

Changing the name of the control did the job!!

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense when you put it that way.

Thanks!!

Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back