Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concatenating Word 97 Documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ham

Technical User
Feb 23, 2000
US
I've been asked to help put a manuscript together - camera ready. There are 35 chapters, each one a separate Word 97 document. Each chapter is to begin on a right-hand (odd numbered) page. So if chapter x ends on an odd page, there will be 1 blank page so chapter x+1 starts on an odd page. Is there any way I could add each chapter as a section and specify that it begin on an odd numbered page? Also, (this may be pushing our luck) is there a way to specify that the blank page not have the header and footer printed? We are getting ready to start printing it out as 35 documents, manually specifying each start page. Obviously, any change in an early chapter that affects pagination would not be a good thing. Before jumping in to that, I want to check for a better option. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -- Ham

Hi Ham,

I think your best bet is to use a masterdocument and then to insert each of the chapters into the master as individual subdocuments. I am no expert on this, but there's not a bad help section in Word.

I think this is a good idea because it will help you adapt quickly when you make a change to a chapter later on, you will not be affecting later chapters.

For each of the subdocuments, if it has an even number of pages, you are okay (because it will begin on an odd page (right hand) and end on an even page (left hand). But for a subdocument with an odd number of pages, insert a section break into that subdocument and make the section break force a new page. Then, you can have a different subsection header/footer in the first part of the chapter versus that last blank page, which will appear on the left hand side -- make that blank page (section) header/footer blank also and you've got a totally blank page.

Sounds like fun stuff! Best of luck.

Blaine

Blaine - thank you very much. It looks like that will do exactly what I want - including the blank headers!

Thanks again. -- Ham

No problem, Ham. Hope it all works out!

Blaine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back