Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concatenating Fields Using Double Bars 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash11

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2018
US
Greetings! I'm working with a CASE statement to concatenate two different address fields together. The field "Alternate Line 1" contains the customers address and "Alternate Line 2" contains the apartment number to the address that's contained in "Alternate Line 1". However, when I run the below code, the results places a huge space between the address and the apartment number, and I'm only wanting there to be just one space between them.

Code:
CASE WHEN SUBSTR(Customer_Address.Alternate_Line_1,1,1) IN('1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9') THEN (Customer_Address.Alternate_Line_1 ||''|| Customer_Address.Alternate_Line_2)

I'm wondering if it might be due to a conversion error that's taking place when the query is being run. Aside from that guess, I'm pretty much at a loss as to where I'm going wrong.

Thank you kindly! [bigsmile]

Hi,

Try Trim. It’s been a long time since I’ve coded DB2 SQL, so you might be limited to LTrim or RTrim...
Code:
(Trim(Customer_Address.Alternate_Line_1) ||''|| Trim(Customer_Address.Alternate_Line_2))

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

That seemed to do the trick, THANK YOU!

Just a dash of a Tip. 😉

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back