Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computers won't retain DHCP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandHooHa

Technical User
Feb 17, 2002
US
Recently, computers have had trouble getting and retaining IP addresses via DHCP. A computer will have the correct IP address, but after restarting/shutting down, it will come back up with an IP address in the 10.0.0.x range (needs to be 172.24.5.x). To get the computers to get the right IP, I have to release, flushdns, and renew. This gets me the right IP, but then if I restart again, it loses the IP and goes back to 10.0.0.x. This is a major problem; computers in the 10.x range cannot access any of our servers - the 172.24 IP is essential.

There have been no changes in configuration here- this is completely out of the blue. The affected computers are running Win2k and WinXP. They connect to the DHCP server through different switches, so I don't think it is a result of a switch or other piece of hardware going bad.

Would Winsockfix do any good here? I wouldn't think so; nothing appears to be corrupted; this may well be a problem with our network.

Let me know if you need more info; my boss has charged me with fixing this, but I am not a master of networking and I know even less about our switches (Cisco 2950) and how to configure them, but I will try to get whatever info you folks need.

Thanks in advance!

-Chris

As guesses only:

1. Someone has added a DHCP server to the network. One common source: someone with a notebook has brought in a wireless AP or wireless router without disabling DHCP.

2. WinsockFix will not hurt anything, and is OS sensitive. It responds differently depending on the OS version in use.

But, I suspect it is not called for in this instance. My argument in #1 is more likely the case. If you were pulling APIA or 0.0.0.0 addresses, the WinsockFix utility would be the first thing I would use. See the discussion faq779-4625

bcastner's right, there's got to be a new DHCP server somewhere. Find them and read them the riot act. Plugging something has got to be against company policy, and in some companies could be grounds for termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back