Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computers of a Domain losing connections 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoAlertcom

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2002
US
Hello,

We have a small network with XP Pro on the desktops and a Windows2000 Server running Active Directory. Up until recently, even though AD was installed on the server, all users logged into a Workgroup. I recently joined computers into the Domain. Since then everyone most restart their computers a few times a day.

What happens is their network connection to shares on the server are not available or take 30 secondsto a minute to load a file and folder list in Windows Explorer, and take a few mintues to load a Word doc.

I am fairly certain that it is related to them joining the Domain because there are a few laptops that still log into a Workgroup. As well as if I join one of these computers into a Workgroup and access the server's share everything works perfect.

Also, (I am not sure if this is a product of a restart or if it is related but if log on the the desktop as Administrator account of the Domain. It seems to work fine.

The desktops are configured to use our ISP's DNS server, could this be related. In other words, is having the desktops use the DNS Server Service on the AD server a possible reason for this issue.

Thank you in advance for the great help on this site I have gotten in the past.

Sincerely,
Steve

I am at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions.

I also forgot to mention that they lose connection to the network printer that is directly connect to a different Windows2000 server that is acting as a print server.

Thanks again,
Steve

Doesn't anyone have any idea?

Also, when these computers were joined to the domain, I had trouble with some of them when I couldn't put the Domain Users Account in the Local Administrator's Group. When I went to the Groups on the desktops and double-clicked on Administrators Group. Clicked Add only the local computer name and local user accounts were listed, the Domain was not listed so I couldn't locate the Domain User Account. Some of the computers the Domain was listed, I clicked on it and it showed me a list of the Domain User Accounts, I selected the one that I wanted and everything worked fine. These that worked fine are also having problems loosing connections.

I hope somebody is able to help.

Sincerely,
Steve

Yes..to is the isp dns causing the problem..You must list the server as the primary dns under tcp/ip on your domain workstations...The isp's dns does not know anything about your internal network...

I'm assuming that you have setup a dns server...and that you have appropriately configured its tcp/ip to use its own dns server address and not the isp...

Echo,
Follow the instructions in faq96-3017 and this will get your networks DNS up and running relatively quickly.

Yes, it was the DNS. Thank you all for your help.

Cheers,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back