Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computers not seeing each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizigman

MIS
Aug 21, 2003
US
Have a Lease office out of town that has two computers networked together and has been working fine till last week. One of the employees out there decided to change the settings on one of the PC's and caused it to go down. I managed to get it back running and sent the tower back to the lease office. The problem is that the two computers cannot see each other through network neighborhood. Each computer can ping each other but i cannot map network drives, share printers, etc. They both can access the internet though. They are connected through a Linksys router. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Specify OSs please.

I think the problem should easily be resolved through assigning IP addy's.

-----------------
Cogito Ergo Sum
-----------------

Much depends upon the OS. Assuming Windows, frequently, this would happen in Windows 95/98/98se. Windows networks have an "election", which is a "pecking" order on which OS/PC will become the internal "Master-Browser". If you had 2 Windows 9X pc's, they sometimes would flake out and not see each other. This can be fixed under the network setting, set one to "Auto" and the other to "disabled". Alternatively, on a small network, you can set "netbeui" as your default browsing protocol (DO NOT remove tcp/ip, or you will not be on the internet).

More recent OS's should not have the same problem. Windows 2000, or XP, if the user is setup as a regular user, can not make the changes that they did, (plus, they do not have the same browsing issues).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back