Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computers Missing on Network Neighbourhood 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBall

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2001
GB
I have a computer running win95 which uses a file share on a windows 2000 machine. I have tried to replace the win95 machine with a faster win98 machine but for some reason the 98 machine cannot see the 2000 box in network neighbourhood. Yet if I reconnect the 95 machine it works perfectly. The 98 machine can see other computers, some of which are 2000 machines but not the one I need. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks, Jason.

What protocol? If tcp then ping to see if it is there. If there you have something set up wrong. If not there then network card or hub problems. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

See if NetBEUI is on the machine, if so either add it to the other one or delete it from the first one.....
they BOTH either have to have it or not..... Jay~

"I have to think of a funny footer to
put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

have you set up an account for the new w98 pc? Did you give it a unique name or are you using the same one as was on the w95 pc?Either one of these will stop connectivity.

Try searching for the computer under start find computers

I run into this problem sometimes and can usally find the computer and access it once found

not really sure why it does this but it does.

Alternatively to what skip555 had to say, you can also go to Start->Run and type \\CN where "CN" is the computer name of the Windows 2000 machine

~cdogg

If the PC's do come up in the search or \\CN where "CN" then the problem is not with network connections or hubs etc as you can see it, its most likely a NetBeui problem... Jay~

"I have to think of a funny footer to
put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back