Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computers connected to PC port of Aastra 6867i don't get IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

autoint

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2006
US
Environment:
[ul]
[li]Several daisy-chained Ubiquiti Unifi switches with uplink/daisy-chain ports configured as VLAN trunks[/li]
[li]pfSense appliance with an interface assigned to physical port em4 (no VLAN; default/untagged). A VLAN (id:31) is separately defined with parent interface em4 (this becomes VLAN 31 on em4 - opt4). The physical interface is connected to a UniFi switch port with an assigned port profile where VLAN 30 is the native network and VLAN 31 is tagged. pfSense handles DHCP services on both em4 and em4 - opt4.[/li]
[li]Several Mitel Aastra 6867i phones with LAN port VLAN tag manually set to 31. The phones' PC ports have default VLAN configuration (untagged/default VLAN 1). The phones connect to switch ports configured for the same port profile as the switch port to which pfSense connects (tagged VLAN 31, native/untagged network/VLAN [pvid] 30).[/li]
[/ul]
Screenshot of phone VLAN configuration:
cJ8IiOe_wq6vju.png

As expected, the phones acquire DHCP-assigned IP addresses from the service running on pfSense interface em4 - opt4 (VLAN 31). But computers connected to the phones' PC ports do not acquire DHCP-assigned addresses from the service running on pfSense interface em4 (default/untagged VLAN 30). However, if phones are temporarily bypassed and computers connected directly to the switch ports (to which the phones are normally connected), the computers do acquire DHCP-assigned addresses from the service running on pfSense em4 (default/untagged VLAN 30). It seems the phones are not passing DHCP requests from the computers to the switch ports. Packet capture on the pfSense appliance seems to support this. I see no DHCP requests from computers when they are connected through the phones.

This seems to suggest a problem with phone configuration, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

I neglected to mention that the physical links/connections between computer network interfaces and PC ports on the phones appear to be good. I have link lights on computer network interfaces and network status on the phone shows the connections are up. The trouble seems to be logical/configuration/software...

6yPdvKf_r3bem8.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back