Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer's Behaving Badly?! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samwheale

Programmer
Jun 11, 2004
GB
Hi Guys,

I just booted up my secondary PC for the first time in just over two days and it seems to be acting very strangely???

Firstly my spec:

256MB PC2100
AMD 1800XP
ASRock K7VT2 Mobo
32MB Savage 2000
Windows XP Pro SP1
Original Ebuyer PSU - (I have been warned about this before! I know its not the most cutting edge system, but I have been told by various individuals to drop the original PSU in favour of something a bit more powerful - Could this be the cause of my woes?)

Anyway, when I boot up I get the XP message saying that my disk needs to be checked for consistency, but then at the bottom of the screen it says that it has been cancelled?

It then proceeds to load Windows, but also gives me a Bios beep code - three shorts I think?? Any ideas?

And then the fun really begins in Windows! My mouse performs very erratically, one click appears to open up like 6 or 7 windows and when it's idle it appear to flash quite frantically? I can't shutdown during the period either; it just goes into standby mode? Sometimes randomly.

I thought at first it might be the mouse, but I tried a different one, it worked fine at first but then just went back to how it was before??

Please can someone help me? I've stopped using it at the moment through fear of damaging anything.

Thanks in advance,

Sam.

Is the mouse PS2 or USB? What happens if you try the other type?

Andy.

Sounds to me like one of the keys on your keyboard is stuck. Try a different keyboard, or stand your keyboard on its edge and give it a rap on the table. If its a stuck key that should clear it. (Be careful not to break it!)

Thanks for the replies, but all is well now!

The main problem was a 'stuck' key on the keyboard! Possibly F5?

To be on the safe side I also changed the PSU to a retial 350W, and it now seems much more stable.

Cheers,

SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back