Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer won't recognize ps/2 keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImodiumAD

Technical User
Dec 2, 2004
PR
I intended to switch a Logitech "Deluxe Keyboard" with a Microsoft Internet Keyboard, both with ps/2 connections. The first kb worked, its just was too dirty and several keys had their letters rubbed off. I unplugged the first, and plugged the second one, and it worked when I turned on the PC.

Here's when I didn't follow the old adage "If it's no broken, don't fix it": I noticed that the Device Manager still had the KB listed as the Logitech one (The MS kb worked fine, though). So I downloaded the latests IntelliType drivers form MS's site, removed the Logitech driver from the Device Manager, installed IntelliType, rebooted... and I no longer had KB input in Windows. The KB works fine on the BIOS screen, just not in Windows XP.

I had to get a new USB KB since the machine recognized USB kbs immediately. Obviously, I'm using it right now to type this post (and I hate it just a little bit since some of the keys are in different places).

Device Manager had listed the Logitech driver again, this time with a yellow sign and the error message: A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32).

Several times I tried uninstalling the driver and Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver, but WinXP could not find the PS/2 keyboard.

I tried also uninstalling the driver and then adding the "new hardware" manually, but the dialog boxe didn't have "keyboards" under its listing.

Any suggestion on what should I do next? I obviously must have done something wrong I can't remember right know, and that's frustrating.

Edwin

P.S. My system, according to Belarc Advisor:

OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE 1.XX
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, Revision 1013
1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
ST3200822AS [Hard drive] (200.05 GB)
2048 Megabytes Installed Memory

Is there anything for your old Keyboard in the Add or Remove programs list, or even Automatic Startups etc.?

Have you had a look at the Keyboard icon in the Control Panel? In the Hardware section of this Control Panel icon are things to check and also access to the Keyboard Troubleshooter. Look through the Troubleshooter as it includes a guide to the Add Hardware procedure you have tried.

Is there any mention of your old Keyboard in the Bios under any USB settings?

Maybe the port that the new Keyboard plugs into (or the connections etc.) are damaged? Did you try the Keyboard on another machine?

Have Windows search for new hardware, with the PS/2 keayboard plugged in ofcourse, and it probably finds it and installs the default drivers for it.

HTH
TonHu

TonHu: did that a gazillion times, the machine couldn't detect it.

linney: Yes, the both ps/2 kbs work fine on other machines... no twisted pins or anything (and the kb port in the mobo looks fine too, I'm usually careful about such things). Add/Remove only shows installation of Logitech Setpoint (since I use a Logitech MX518 mouse). Nothing on Startups related to the kb. Yes, I looked at the KB control panel, and the kb troubleshooter wasn't that much of a help (honestly, these WinXP "troubleshooters" have never been helpful for me... not a single instance when I had pressed "Yes, I solved it.") I followed the instructions there but, no luck. Maybe I should try again and see what happens, though. I will have to quadruple check the BIOS, since I'm certain the KB is not mentioned there at all.

Thanks for the replies guys, but I think I will bite the bullet and stop troubling you with this. No sense wasting your time, since the new USB kb (even if don't like it) does the job. I feel bad since I know other ppl here have worse problems, and this workaround has "solved" mine for all purposes.

Again, thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back