Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer won't read USB or CD/DVD Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchblade

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
US
Hi,
I recently tried to install mobile broadband that came on a USB. I plugged it in, and nothing happened. It's supposed to autorun the software, and then the computer is supposed to connect to the USB for the broadband service.

Also, my laptop will not autorun or recognize a DVD or a CD Rom in that drive.

I'm running Windows XP on the laptop.

After I plug in the USB, I open Windows Explorer, and it shows that there is a 'Removable Disk' on the D drive. When I click on it, I get the message 'Please insert a disk into drive D:'

I've gotten a hardware error anytime the computer recognizes the hardware and tries to install it.

I checked the USB on 3 other computers, and it works fine.

I am able to conenct a USB storage drive, so I don't think anything is wrong with the port. It all seems to surround the autoplay.

I've searched the internet and Microsoft, and none of the solutions have worked. Most of them reference changing the drive letter through Device Manager. That didn't work.

Any thoughts? Any other information I can provide?

You could try uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. Uninstall by going to device manager, right clicking each device (i.e CD-ROM/RW and USB) and selecting uninstall.

Then re-install, either by getting the latest drivers off the manufacturer's website or you could see if an auto re-install works?

Alternatively you could try just updating the drivers?

But on the whole, you could spend a massive amount of time trying one thing after another. I would be tempted to do a repair install of XP.

See what up think.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

I've seen the same thing happen on a desktop pc, trying to get a webcam to work. To make a long story short, the webcam simply wouldn't work on the pc (connected thru a usb port). Changed to another usb based web cam and it's worked ever since.

What I am saying is, your device propably won't work, even with a re-install of your OS. Try a different device.

open up REGEDIT, from the RUN BOX, then navigate to the following KEY (or KEYS):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\

delete anything that states: Vid_0000&Pid_0000

you may also see other keys, e.g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet008

check all for the Vid_0000&Pid_0000 subkey and delete those as well...

reboot...

PS: you may have to change the permissions on those keys...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back