Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer wont log on to network bnc coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark59

MIS
Jul 7, 2000
US
Hi,
I had a network that is using bnc connectors with coaxial cable(a dual nic bnc, rj45). Previously three systems(win 95) were running fine. I built two new systems running win 98. I installed the same nic in each. The nic is a dual rj45 and bnc. It connected to my network in the lab using the rj45. Now when I try to connect to the existing client network it will not log on. The new name I used showed up on one of the other systems but it is not accessible. I have used new names and the workgroup is alright. I have uninstalled from windows setup all networking components and reinstalled. Uninstalled all services,protocols and such. Client for ms networks is the log on choice. I think I covered the basics. Client for netware shows up on the other two original systems but I dont think they have a novell network. Client for ms is there, the adapter is there,ipx/spx, netbeui, tcp and file for print. I can not get this up and running. Any help?

Auto detect of media? Or do you have to specify by a utility program?
How about removing any unused services and protocols, and if using tcpip make sure that the netmask is the same as the visible machines.
You may run across some timing problems if the cards are from different manufacturers than the originals. I've run across strange problems with mixed card networks. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Im not sure if I completely understand, but it sounds like the two 98 machines are on a seperate network to the other 3 win95's if so and you are connecting them using a rj45 cable, is it going into a hub or are they directly connected. If they are directly connected using the NIC's then your problem might be with the cable...are you using a standard or twisted pair cat5 cable?? you need to use twisted pair for nic to nic and standard for a hub. Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Hi,
Thanks for the answers. I am not sure what you mean by auto detect of the media. Also would you explain netmask. these new machines are on the same network using either thinnet or coax and are not connected to a hub. the cable is ok. The other machine connects to the network at the station the W98 will not. I am heading over there now and will set thhe 98 machines up again at the end of the cable. Both ends are terminated.

Auto detect of the media relates to the network card connections. Somes cards will automatically detect whether you're connecting to UTP (RJ-45 connector) or Thin Ethernet (BNC connector). Others won't. If the latter, you need to run the SETUP prog on the disk that came with the network card to set it for BNC. Sounds like your card was preset for UTP as it connected ok to the lab machine...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Some nic's also allow selection of type under the nic advanced properties in the network properties.

Netmask is a tcpip setting that defines what network the machine will see. If you are using tcpip, a difference in netmask will effectively hide your machine.
You may also want to look at the tcpip addresses to verify that no machines are duplicated.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back