Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer won't join domain controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

farklem

Technical User
Feb 5, 2003
US
So I have successfully joined one client machine running windows 2000 Pro to the domain controller running windows 2000 Advanced Server. I just tried to join another computer running windows 2000 pro and it asks for the username and password of a user that can join the domain. I enter this information and it sits for a while and then comes up with the following error "The specified network name is no longer available." The network configuration of this computer is the same as the other client that was able to join the domain. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Have you checked to see if the pc is pysically connected to the network. Right click on my network places, properties,right click NIC , properties. Click on 'show icon in task bar when connected'. When visible 'hover the cursor over the NIC icon to see network speed. A red cross shows no connection.

It is physically connected to the network for sure. It is able to brows the internet with no problem

First of all not knowing anything about your setup I would scan your network and make sure you don't have a computer with duplicate name.

Second make sure your pro machine is pointing at the right DNS server before you try to join the domain.

Third check your nic properties and make sure you have tcp/ip properties for one nic. if you have multiple nics in the pc diable one temporarly.

Fourth check your dns server and make sure you have the rite entry for your windows pro machine, if not delete the entry to the work station in dns. Then on the workstation go to command prompt and flush your dns the command is "ipconfig /flushdns" once you have done that reregister your workstation with dns : the command is "ipconfig /registerdns". verify that the workstationed registered correctly then try to join the domain again.

Hope this helps

How about this i would look into what jimw32 said : First of all not knowing anything about your setup I would scan your network and make sure you don't have a computer with duplicate name.

Then when you are trying to add this computer to the domain are you buy chance putting in the full name , Like so for instance lets say the domain is farklem.farklemdomain.com all you need to specify would be farklemdomain
Try it see if it works ?
so to test your other computer that is hooked up to the domain go into active directory users and computers and see if that pc is listed if it isnt then you have a problem with a dns configuration ! being that you have recived the error message The specified network name is no longer available but the other half of the message sounds like you have 2 pc's running the same name ,
Have fun Anthony Cabanas
Long Island Networking Technologies Inc acabanas@linettech.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back