Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer starting up automatically when telephoned

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotoz

Technical User
Dec 26, 2002
AU
Hi!

I'm running Windows XP (Home Edition) and have a D-Link DFM-562IS modem. If the computer is switched off and I receive an incoming telephone call, the computer automatically starts up. Is there any way to stop this? I'm guessing that it is thinking that there is a fax coming through or something, but I'm not running any fax software!

Many thanks for any help you can offer.
Regards,
ScotOz

P.S. I apologise in advance if this is a silly question, but I am a unix bod, rather than a Windows one! :)

Go into your CMOS setup and ensure that Wake On Ring (or Wake On Modem) is turned off.

This setting will allow the computer to turn itself on when it detects a phone call coming in over the phone line. One such benefit of this could be (as you stated) that the computer turns itself on to recieve a fax. Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

mudskipper where can i get more info on wake on ring? AOL Tech

I don't know, specifically, of a good reference for this. It is likely that a google search on wake on ring would pull up many, many references, though....

Happy hunting ;-) Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back