Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer shutting down after virus removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshineandwine

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
CA
OS W98SE. Recently I was infected with a trojan horse. The virus was dectected by NAV immediately after installing new virus definitions, my computer shut off. When I rebooted (which couldn't be done before switching main switch in back for several secons) the virus was detected. One of the symptoms of the virus was the computer shutting off sporadically but especially if I try to open my divx player, open my CD Rom burning software, I cannot visit There are other times but these are the most consistant. So it appears to be related to multimedia.

All virus scans are clean, one button check up ok (have Norton system works) but after the virus has been removed the computer continues to shut off.

I would normally think it was a hardware issue but that it corresponds exactly with the detection of the virus I think it must be related to that.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated

which malware was detected? If the malware was able to modify the system it could have added some entries that makes the system dependent on the trojan. If the cleaning did not include the removal of these entries, instability arises. Please provide the malware name so that we could help you more.

I don't know which malware was detected. NAV just detected Trojan Horse no name. The infected file was originally srvreg.exe. Once the run key was deleted and the file was deleted NAV detected DCO.EXE and Quarantined it.
The original thread number is 760-696133 it has a scan from Hijack this and shows what was done so far. Maybe you can determine which malware.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back