Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer shuts down unexplainably

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishpat13

Technical User
Jun 2, 2003
US
I am running windows xp professional corporate addition and for some reason my entire cpu will turn itself off completely randomly. Any clue why this happens? I have the ASUS Utility probe and it doesn't seem that the temperature ever hits the threshold settings.

On a side note, when I boot up and it brings up the windows logo and progress bar (before the log in screen), everything is off center and over to the right, enough so that only "Micros" shows up in the Microsoft logo on the bottom right. This is the only screen that seems to do this. Any idea why?

Just incase some setting has got corrupted try using System Restore to go back to before the problem happened. Do you have another monitor you can try?

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any error I.D. number and search for it on this site.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

If your problem persists post back with this Stop Error.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

This site is good for troubleshooting sudden restarts.

Might be a driver problem possibly corrupt VGA driver

Had a similar problem (same symptoms except the display). I read a lot about the CPU overheating, but it was also always below the threshold. It turned out the cooling fan wasn't very good, and sometimes it would stop touching the CPU for just a split second in just one corner, but that's enough for an Athlon to overheat and cause a fault. New cooler solved everything.

There are a few possible problems that may be occuring based on the diaginosis given.

1) there may be a problem with the amount of current(power) that the CPU is getting. If the is a Brownout occuring or surges coming through the CPU this would cases the CPU to ramdomly shut down or restart. Also Your should look into the CPU System Battery and see if the system battery is going bad. A lot of times you can postpone needing a new system battery by unpluging the battery for about 1 min the re-inserting it back in to the CPU.

2) It could also be a problem with the CPU's Fan Motor, I would also check the Motor on the cooling fan.

3) as Far as the Screen issue I would do the Following
A) Adjust The Monitor Conrtol
B) Go into the Control panels and manipulate those setting under display.
C) if the following does not work use another monitor to check if the error occurs on that one also, If the awnser still remains yes. THe go to System and do a system restore back to a date you know the Cpu monitor work properly.

( You might also have a driver problem if the issue does not resolve are you do the above trouble shooting)

Take a look at thread779-567046. I had the same problem, mabey these tips might work for you.[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back