Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer shuts down unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

fheyn

Programmer
Mar 22, 2001
DE
os is winxp, sp3 which is frequently used. the last time I did so it came up with the extended boot menu.
I selected 'normal start' and it shut down. tried again, same thing.
replaced the hdd, tried to install winxp, first step it does, then install process restarts pc, I see winxp logo for half a second and computer shuts down.
tried a rescue cd checking ram with memtest86 -> ok
as soon as I want to launch linux from cd computer shuts down.
that also happens when no hdd is connected.
local(german) forums could'nt help, that's why I'm going international.
the problem could be power supply, graphics adapter or some defective part of the mainboard.
I would be thankful if you could show me ways to analyze this problem.
many thanks in advance, be free to ask whatever is of any importance.

First step I would take would be removing anything not needed to boot to eliminate excess power draw and a possibly malfunctioning component. Since you can make it shut down when trying to boot from a Linux CD, you have an easy way to test and see if there are any improvements. Remove any extra drives, PCI cards, if you have onboard video remove the video card, run only one stick of RAM, unhook any external USB/Firewire/etc connections and start from there. If you still have the power down issue after removing everything you can, then go onto further diagnosis.

Do you have any extra components around such as a PSU, RAM, video card (if no onboard video) or optical drive? Can your PC boot from USB so you can eliminate the optical drive? Do you have any PSU tester or multimeter to test the voltage of the PSU? How long did you let Memtest run for? I prefer letting it run overnight but general rule of thumb is 4 passes and your RAM will likely be ok. Have you inspected the motherboard, usually around the CPU, for bulging capacitors? Can you give a parts list or make and model number if a store bought PC?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I would bet on it being the power supply and would try a replacement first IF you had a spare power supply. But all the other troubleshooting steps mentioned by DrB0b are absolutely worth doing.

If everything fails, take the motherboard out of the case and put it on tile/wood/cardboard. Sometimes a short from mobo to case can cause crazy problems.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Start here thread602-1774967 as much in that thread will also apply to your problem

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

But try the very LAST thing the OP of that thread tried (CPU heat sink compound) first.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

hi again,
first of all thanks to all of you for your comments.
some data : board is asrock-k8upgrade-nf3 (since asrock states that this model is NOT sold world wide, I don't know if you are familiar with it.
there's no on-board graphics, so the only part attached right now is the gforce graphics device.
as for memtest, it ran for about 1 hour.
bios does not mention usb-boot, but I'll try with the the current settings which has cd-rom as first boot device.
bios shows some voltage data (I think it was for 3,5 and 12 V). the values given are slightly below (like 2.67,4.94,11.7)
are these values helpfull. but I will ths up again.
PSU was always mentioned but when installing winxp I removed the current partition, created a new on consuming the whole disk space and formatted with ntfs. the formatting took almost two hours and I just can't imagine that booting an os will consume that much more energy that the PSU fails.
anyway thanks again and I'll be back.

I would check the motherboard for bulging leaking capacitors, as this motherboard is over 10 years old, as well as try a different power supply. As for the power supply voltages, only the 3volt line is out of spec. and too low. And yes, booting the OS, consumes more energy as devices become active when the drivers are loaded compared to running in a much reduced basic state without the driver.

It could be anything mentioned already, so everything needs be looked at. But power supplies when going tend to run for a period of time (variable) and then they shut down. But, don't focus on one item and say, "it can't be this" because it surely can!

It's probably time to replace that motherboard assuming you have the means. Old is well, old.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back