Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer shuts down on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBL

Technical User
Jul 14, 2005
US
My computer is running XPhome edition, recently it has started shutting down on its own with the message that C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe has encoutered a problem...
What does this mean and what should I do?

you have inherited the sasser worm. Download one of these antiviruses below and use them in safe mode. You will probally have to download them from another computer. Next time your computer goes to shutdown go to start, run, then type shutdown -a . that will abort the shutdown. I will give you a few linkes and also patches from microsoft you need to install. Also including the patch for blaster.

Download one of these antiviruses.

this is an online antivirus.

Also here is a page with info on it.

If none of this help rely and let me know

Does it Shutdown immediately after login or do you have some run time on the machine? Also is it giving you a 60 second warning of impending Shutdown? You may be able to Abort any Shutdown by typing Shutdown /a in the Start Run Box.

Do you have the same occurrence in Safe Mode?

The Sasser virus or Argobot worm have been known to cause this type of problem. It may also be a sign that you are not fully updated from Windows Update?

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back