Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediwarrior

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2004
US
Hi All

I have a quick question for you experts. I have recently seen in a couple of computers where they will not shut down on their own when you click on 'Shutdown'. The computers just hang there and I have to manually shut them down myself. Then upon starting them up I get the scan disk checker saying that windows didn't shut down properly.
Does anyone know why this would happen? Also, I have noticed that if you reload windows, the problem goes away, and it has happened with WIN98, and XP. What caused the problem in the first place?

Thanks,
Jediwarrior

It could be many things.... it could be as simple as software you have recently installed or a virus. Its a good idea if you have tried everything and it still doesnt work to back up your data and reboot it. good luck

How do I go about creating this shortcut on the desktop?
Do I create the shortcut and code in Notepad or DOS?

Thanks,

Jediwarrior

How do I go about creating this shortcut on the desktop?

just right-click any empty area on your desktop, select New->Shortcut then on the command line entry, type C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE USER.EXE,EXITWINDOWS

i hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

This is common with 98 but i have yet to see pcs refusing to shutdown in xp, it's possible nonetheless.

The 98 glitch is fixed simply by installing the latest Windows Updates form the Microsoft Web Page. There's a patch that fixes this problem; don't ask me the name of KB number of the patch but after installing all 98 patches the problem is always gone. It pro'ly is the same for xp!

Good luck,

Simon

Yes, this all helped. I even tried the shortcut and that worked.
I also updated windows with everything out there and the problem was fixed.

Thanks for all your help.

Jediwarrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back