Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer restarts without my permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispr

Technical User
May 24, 2004
CA
I left my computer on overnight and the power flicked and it turned off. I tried to turn it on again and nothing happened so I disconnected the power cable and then plugged it back in again. So it worked and everything was working ok until about 40 minutes and then the computer just turned off again. I did the exact same thing and after about the same time it turned off again. I tried to do a system restore to 2 days ago and that did nothing, as well I checked the MB for any transistors/capacitors that might be blown or anything that looked abnormal but I didn't see anything. The event viewer isn't showing any errors that might cause this, I think it might be a hardware issue, particularly my PSU, but why would it work for a period and then shut off? Thanks for the help.

Perhaps you should ask your question in the Hardware forum as reading your circumstances tends to suggest what you are thinking yourself.

Do you have a power surge protector that may be faulty?

yes you should invest in a surge proctector most deffinetly! You will probably need a new powersupply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back