Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer restarts over and over and over ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TboneJr

Technical User
May 30, 2003
US
This is a 2.5 GHZ Celeron - 512 MB RAM - Running XP pro - all other components are onboard. When you turn comp on it just keeps restarting. It gets past the xp splash screen then goes black and restarts. Can't boot to safe mode or any other mode. I removed HD and hooked it up externally to another computer and Im running chkdsk on it, but it got finished and didn't show any results so I don't know if it found anything wrong or not. Is there a program I can use to scan the HD to repair XP problems while its hooked up via USB ? Or is there another fix ? Sorry if I have left any information out. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Terry

cant you f8 and choose no reboot on bsod?

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

If you boot to XP CD you could try a Repair option which will reinstall all the core XP files, this has worked for me in the past. The option is 'R' and is available just before you get to the installtion menus.

Please note if you do this that any Windows updates will then have to be reinstalled.

Can you log in after doing an F8 boot and selecting Safe Mode? There is a multitude of problems it could be, anywhere from a bad update of Windows to a virus to a hardware or driver problem.

If you can get in via Safe Mode, run a virus scan and a malware scan see if that turns up anything. There are a ton of freebies out there, just Google them. Check for recent driver updates (typically your video driver will be the biggest culprit but not the only one) if you've done a chkdsk and it didnt find any problems than typically your hard drive is ok.

If you can't get into Windows via Safe Mode, then yes I would agree with PhaseK, a repair install of Windows would be needed.

Good luck!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Just about every time I've seen this in that past, it's been corrupt system files, but there's also a possiblity for incompatible drivers or other software, though for both of those options you should be able to get into safe mode.

I like PhaseK's suggestion. I'd boot with an XP CD to run a repair. The only thing I'd like to add is that the most common reason for the corruption, at least in my organiztion, is a failing HDD, or at least bad sectors, so make sure you test that drive before storing any thing you're not wiling to lose on it. I'm curious what the results of your Chkdsk were. Once you run the repair, be sure to run the chkdsk again.

Hope this helps

Good Luck!

Chris

Windows XP logon screen does not appear and the computer continuously restarts

Windows Restarts Continuously with Blue Screen

After you install Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, your computer restarts continuously

Windows XP Shut Down and Automatic Reboot Problems

XP Repair Install (in place upgrade)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

The option is 'R' and is available just before you get to the installation menus." That option actually brings you to the Recovery Console, I think you have to select "Enter" to start the Windows Setup and get the Repair option.

Nevertheless Recovery Console may offer you some choices that you can use. Try running the Command ChkDsk /r . You can look at the FixBoot and FixMbr Commands too.

See this for the location of any ChkDsk log kept by Windows.

When run from the Recovery Console the log remains on the screen until you remove it.

The hard drive manufacturer will have free bootable diagnostic software to thoroughly check out the condition of the hard drive.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of KBQ307545 in simple language.

Bad RAM? I had this happen once. The computer was working fine, I went to the printer to pick up a couple of print jobs, and came back to my desk to find my computer in a reboot loop. The computer would get just to the point that the login screen should appear and then would reboot.

Try running memtest86.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read FAQ690-6594: How to ask the best questions and site policies before posting.

I've seen alot of this in the environment that I work in..

First thing I check for is a bad hard drive with diagnostic software.
If it passes those tests I move on to the recovery console to run chkdsk..in the case of severe OS corruption I'll go for a clean or repair install

It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."

yes - try the option to NOT automatically reboot after you press F8 during startup.

Give us the code/blue screen info

Then:
Hard drive diagnostic check (always first - nothing works without a good hard drive)

Memory Test - memory can cause all kinds of funky behavior

Then follow BadBigBen's comments/links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back