Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Restarts for No Reason at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerologic

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
US
Hello.

For the past few weeks now my computer has been rebooting at random times while performing random tasks (i.e. refreshing a webpage or playing a game). I am totally perplexed as to what the cause of my problem is.

My specs are as follows:

Asus P4E Mobo
P4 2.4 Ghz
512 MB PC 2100
GeForce4 4600 Ti
SB Audigy Platinum
XP Pro

All video and soundcard drivers are current.

Any input you guys have would be welcomed. This is a real inconvenince and could possibly be a sign of a much more serious problem.

Often sign of hardware problem (which needs elimination process to find the culprit).
Any history? You say for last few weeks - what about before that, and what happened between (eg, added/removed hardware/software, major crash, virus etc).

Seems like hardware if it is random .. I would consider memory and power pack first suspects ... try substituting with known good hardware if you have it available

Mike

Any clues in the event viewer? Start, Run, eventvwr.msc

To disable automatic rebooting for stop error: right click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery Settings button, uncheck Automatically restart.

from the specs i'm guessing this is a custom computer.
my initial thought here is your powersupply isn't delivering enough to keep all those components happy.
what is the brand and wattage of your powersupply?

Trent
Network Admin

Did you check the temperature of you CPU ? Maybe before freezing the BIOS reboot the computer...

LongStar --------------------------------
LongStar
"If it can go wrong, it will..." (Murphy)

Hi,
Having so much problems with my computer - just keeps randomly crashing on me, whatever i do on it. Just had it upgraded and since then its just got worse. Only seems to stay on from 5-10 mins. Its a custom built computer. ive recently got broadband too since the upgrade and also just got win XP, but the problems are still there. Only recently too ive got a msg coming up that says its detected new hardware - a pci simple comms controler??

Try this one I had good results.
Go to 'Microsoft knowledge base', search for "how to perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP"
[Keywords: kbenv kbFAQ kbprod2web kb310353]
Does a pretty cool number, really helped me no end. Hope it clears the 'bump'!

Do you see a blue screen?

You should disable ACPI from BIOS and move your memory module to the second slot (Moving ACPI from bios you should reinstall windowsXP)

It's probably either memory or PSU. 963852 - A PCI Simple Comms(communications) controller is most undoubtedly a modem. James P. Grant III
A+ Certified Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back