Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Replacement Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerdurdan66

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2005
US
I am working on a Computer Replacement Policy. With the following assumptions.
A computer should work efficiently for 4 years.
Replace each computer every 4 years.
If you have 12 computers, then replace the oldest every 4 months.
Purchase mid range system with double the average memory at that time.

Has anybody implemented such a policy?
What about how often to put on a clean copy of windows.
Also I thought going ahead and purchasing double the average memory would avoid a need RAM update two years later.

Any comments, suggestion or experiance are needed.

Well, rather than purchasing a new machine every 4 months, you might want to consider the value of 1 purchase of 3 machines every year or 4 machines every 3 years in order to keep the hardware somewhat similar.

Perhaps even 1 purchase of 6 machines every 2 years to 18 months. The value of hardware similarity is subjective though, and only something you can put a figure on.

RAM is an easy upgrade for later, but it is realtively cheap compared to 4-5 years ago, so it doesn't make as much difference now to defer extra RAM. I purhase at 512MB or 1GB levels anyway. I do tend to prioritize CPU->Video->RAM->HDD when spec'ing equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back