Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer reboots when clicking .exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgarret

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2002
US
Ok, I have a Time Clock program that is installed on a XP machine. This workstation is dedicated as Time Clock Server.

Now, I have Client workstations that were new (Fresh Windows). I install the client versions of the software, which asks for the server install directory, I point it to the above Time Clock Server. All 20 Machines ran great for a day, then they periodically started to Just reboot when clicking the .exe for the time clock program. I am down to 5 or 6 computer now that work with the time clock program.

Im am clueless now. I have all systems installed the same way with the same software. All are identical. All updates were installed.

Any Ideas, Thanks in advance.

One more thing, after the computer reboots, it states that the computer has recoverd from a serious error.

Hi,
Check the event viewers for the affected machines and I would stop using that program until the issue is resolved.

Have you run a thorough virus and malware check?

Are the Windows machines also XP or 7 ?

If 7. the program certified to run on that OS version?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

The program has ran in a mixed environment for almost 5 years. Windows 200 machines and Windows XP. Then one day all of a sudden a few machines started rebooting on click. Now we have replaced all the computers, and I figured this would have fixed the problem with a fresh install and all clients on windows xp.

It just been frustrating.

Event Viewer just states Even ID 1003

Hi,
What was the source of the 1003 ID? Once you have that check here for possible info on it:

Can you confirm that no virus was found in the main or the install program?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Go to System Properties by right clicking on My Computer, and then on Properties.

Go to the Advanced Tab, and click n the Settings button for Start-Up and Recovery

Then uncheck the "Automatically restart" box in the System Failure Section.

O.k your way out. Run your Program and post the Error you get now, from the Blue screen that should now show itself , this should be much more helpful than event viewer.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

No viruses or spyware. I unchecked the automatically restart option and the computer is still rebooting.

I have a feeling that the problem lies with the OS's.
Since there are 2 different ones. (XP,2000) I seems that once the 2000 machines access the program the xp machines start experiencing the reboot problem. Not one 2000 machine reboots, just the XP machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back